"What is it? My dear?"
"Ah, how can we bear it?"
"Bear what?"
"This. For so short a time. How can we sleep this time away?"
"We can be quiet together, and pretend – since it is only the beginning - that we have all the time in the world."
"And every day we shall have less. And then none."
"Would you rather, therefore, have had nothing at all?"
"No. This is where I have always been coming to. Since my time began. And when I go away from here, this will be the mid-point, to which everything ran, before, and from which everything will run. But now, my love, we are here, we are now, and those other times are running elsewhere."
– A.S. Byatt, Possession




Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My Journey Journal


Since the start of this school year, I’ve kept a journey notebook for my English class given by Professor Cynthia Pittmann. We did a collage on the front cover filled with pictures of places where we’ve went to want to go. It could also be things that represent our inner journeys. I did mine on various places. There’s a couple of Puerto Rico from a couple of my favourite places to go.

I included Flamenco beach, my favourite beach, where I spent my quinceañera. I also have a picture of El Morro, but that symbolizes San Juan as a whole with all its rich history.  El Yunque is Puerto Rico’s rainforest, a beautiful place where you can have an adventure while appreciating the huge diversity of life here in Puerto Rico. There’s a couple of places I’ve gone to outside of Puerto Rico, like New York City and Broadway. Places I’d love to go to include Chicago, Disney World and the Great Canyon. To symbolize my inner journey, I included a picture of Borders as reading is a big part of me, and my campus, UPRRP. Also, where I’d love to go and my ultimate goal, the Medical Science campus.

My Journal
Photo taken by me 

Inside, there are several entries. The rules are:

o   Keep your hand moving

o   Don’t cross out

o   Don’t worry about grammar

o   Lose control

o   Don’t think or get logical

o   Go for the jugular


We have to do a total of at least 40 entries following these rules. We also have to do a life compass, rating from 0-3 our spiritual, mental, physical and emotional states. At first, I was overthinking too much and worrying about grammar, but with time I’ve learned to let go. It can be pretty relaxing sometimes. Other times, it brings to the front of your mind everything you’re worrying about. But in any case, I found it helpful to later read my unfiltered thoughts. Sometimes it can be hard for me to express how I’m feeling or why I’m feeling that way, and this can help me get in touch with my feelings in a better way.

I’ve never kept a journal before. But I see now why people keep them as it can be therapeutic. It’s also nice to keep those memories and read them later. But, it requires a bit of time and discipline if I want to document my day to day life. I don’t know if I’ll still have one after the project is over, as I know I won’t want to write everyday on it. But who knows? I could see it as an option now.

No comments:

Post a Comment